Monday, June 21, 2010

hot hot hot!

Well this weekend was a pretty hot one. It was hard to stay motivated to work outside when as soon as you opened the door you began sweating! None the less we got some small things done around the house and farm.

Chris helped me get the last section of garden tilled up so I can plant the last of the seeds this week. I also planted all of my herbs and weeded the entire garden. I must say weeding is not my favorite task! I also planted some pretty, brightly colored flowers to attract bees to come over and do some awesome pollinating for me. Since I was up close and personal with the plants this weekend I am expecting a large harvest of zucchini this week. I also have plenty of green tomatoes, both large and small, if only they would turn red! I am getting lots of flowers on my beans and my cucumbers. The winter squash is growing nicely down the hill, making its way to the fence. I also noticed some nice flowers on that this morning. My peppers seem stuck in the small stage of growth. I am hoping they will pick up, I would really like some fresh peppers. Finally the okra is also beginning to flower. I am hoping that the zucchini plants don't smother the okra, but its possible! Yet again, we have the largest zucchini plants that I have ever seen! One plant would easily fill a children's plastic swimming pool!

Goats are doing great. All the babies have names finally, Ava's kids are Aiden and Aimee, and Coco's are Archie and Aubrey. They are getting so big! George's banding is still progressing well, I can't wait for that to be over! Finally Reggie is adapting well to the new boys and life on the farm. He is just a little mush!

Chickens and Chicks doing great as well. Our egg counts have finally started to increase again! Lets hope this is an ongoing trend. I have one hen that is showing signs of being interested in sitting again so we need to make arrangements for her in the coop. The 8 chicks that we have are doing great. They are beginning to get their big chicken feathers in. We have 4 of them that are beginning to show that they have frizzled feathers! I will have to get a picture of one chick and his dad! Itty has left him to be on his own so our frizzle rooster has taken over his care. It is so sweet to walk in the coop and see this tough guy sitting over the little chick!

well hopefully we will have a productive week ahead! Thanks for checking in!

No comments: